Don’t get me wrong…your website should be attractive and look like it was done by a professional, but it should also be practical. If it’s not, it’s not going to be profitable.
Your website is one of several marketing strategies that should be making you money! It is the foundation of your strategic internet marketing plan and the hub for all of your online efforts. So how do you make it pretty, professional, practical and profitable all at the same time?
Here are six website tips to do just that:
- Use keyword phrases on your site that people actually type into Google to find you. This is part of SEO or search engine optimization. Try to focus on one keyword phrase per page or post. My phrase for this article is website tips, and you will see that I use it multiple times without overdoing it. As a matter of fact, I just did! For more on SEO, check out How to SEO Your Site: A DIY Guide for Small Business Owners by Jenny Munn. If you have a WordPress website, I use and recommend the Yoast SEO plugin which will help you optimize your site. I currently use the free version but may upgrade to the premium version in the future.
- Make your website mobile compatible. This site uses what is called a mobile responsive theme from StudioPress (themes for WordPress websites), meaning that the content adjusts based on the device. Take a look at it on a desktop and your smart phone to see what I mean.
- Put your contact information on every page and have a contact form. Make it easy for people to do business with you! You will see that my contact information is in a footer widget area so it shows up on every page. You may want to put yours in a header widget area to make it more visible. If you have a WordPress website and need a good, free contact form, I use and recommend the Fast Secure Contact Form plugin.
- Have a clear message and call to action. Be clear about what you do and who you serve and let people know what you would like them to do next in order to do business with you.
- Incorporate social media. Let people connect with you on social media sites and make it easy for them to share your content with their friends, followers and connections. The more others help you, the better! And I would greatly appreciate it if you would help me by sharing this article using the social media icons at the left or bottom of your screen 🙂 These icons are displayed using the free version of the Share plugin from SumoMe, but I may upgrade to the pro version of this one, too. By the way, Share is not restricted to WordPress.
- Make your site easy to read and navigate. People don’t usually stick around too long anyway, so don’t give them a reason to leave.
Good…you’re still here. I’m glad I gave you a reason to stick around!